Bishop Barrington has a well designed policy on homework.The government has issued advice on homework and we have used that as a basis for our approach.
There are various reasons advanced for the issue and completion of homework:
- It extends the challenge open to every pupil and ensures that teaching time is used to maximum effect.
- To help the students to become successful independent learners.
- The key skills for independent learning are:
- Information retrieval
- Time management
- Homework tasks can include:
- Investigations, interviews, listening practice or rehearsal
- Research in a Public or school library, a visit or viewing
- Reading, designing, essay writing
- Learning, simple experiment, model-making
- Projects, extended assignments/assessments, coursework, preparation for an activity
- Given the increasing need for work flexibility, and the ability to learn independently, developing these skills and attitudes must be a central aim for the school.
Each weekday lunchtime, one of the six dedicated ICT rooms is made available for all students to complete homework tasks or coursework assignments.
In addition to this, every day, Key Stage 3 students are encouraged to attend a homework club after school, between 2:30 - 3:30pm. This club is supervised by a member of staff, so help is always at hand should it be needed.