In music, students cover a wide range of topics and have the opportunity to use a selection of musical instruments and faciltiies. In Key Stage 3, the following topics are covered:
- The Elements of Music - To learn about the Elements of music and be able to use them in performances, compositions and listening tests.
- Latin Beat - To perform and compose music from South America.
- Music for special occasions – To compose original music for a special event.
- The Music of Africa - To perform, compose and listen to African music using drums, vocals and keyboards.
- Reggae - To perform, compose and listen to music in the Reggae style.
- Hip Hop - To compose, perform and listen to music in the hip hop style.
- LGBT – To perform, compose and listen to music from the LGBT pop community.
- Western Classical Music- To find out about the key features of minimalist music and how it is constructed.
- British Rock Music – To perform, compose and listen to music from the Beatles and other rock bands.
Pupils in year 10 and 11 will follow the AQA syllabus for music. Pupils will perform a solo and ensemble piece (30%), Compose 2 pieces of music (30%) and complete a listening section called understanding music (40%). The areas of study are:
- Western classical tradition 1650-1910
- Western classical tradition since 1910.
- Monday - Keyboard Club
- Tuesday - Fastraxx Music Club
- Wednesday - Pop Choir
- Thursday - DJ Club