The humanities department consists of two subject matters, History and Geography.
Key Stage 3
This is a summary of topics that the department cover in Key Stage 3, from years 7 until 9.
- Roman Britain
- Medieval Britain
- The Reign of Henry VIII
- The Reign of Elizabeth I
- The English Civil Wars
- The Victorians
- Empire and Slavery
- World War One, Nazi Germany and The Cold War
Key Stage 4
At GCSE level, we offer the AQA syllabus. As part of this course, pupils will learn the following topics;
- A depth study on Germany, 1890 - 1945
- The Korean and Vietnam War
- A British thematic study; Power and the People
- Elizabethan England
- Fantastic World – Exploring amazing places across the world such as Antarctica and tropical Rainforests as well as places closer to home.
- Weather & Climate – A look into weather systems and climate change and how they can affect our lives.
- Terrifying Tectonics – A study of volcanoes and earthquakes around the world and how they have an impact on the world around us.
- Changing China – A study of one of the most affluent countries in the world and look at how it has become such a global phenomenon.
- Water World – An investigation into river systems and how the course of a river changes downstream.
- Shrinking World – Where do our clothes come from? An investigation into trading worldwide.
- Cracking Coasts – A study of coastal processes and how they shape our landscapes.
- 7 Billion and counting – A look at the growing human population and the impacts this is having on our natural environment.
- Restless Earth – GCSE topic.
Years 10 & 11
- Restless Earth
- The Coastal Zone
- Water on the Land
- Population Change
- Changing Urban Environments
- Controlled Assessment